OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Heartening Response

Yesterday's post touched a lot of nerves so I'm glad I can post some positive headway on this issue. I wrote to the Marine Officer Instructor at the University of Washington's NROTC unit, of which I am an alum. The current MOI is a good friend who I not only went to college with, but also went through the cauldron of OCS with. That he is the man in charge there at UW is as strange to me as it is testament that these positions draw only the best Officers. The strangeness doesn't come from the fact that he shouldn't be there but that the buddy I remember was a young, unseasoned kid in my memory. Obviously a decade has changed that but he will always be that "Tim" that I knew in the past.

Anyway, here is his response to the situation:

This issue has blown up and was even on Fox News this weekend. The student senate was split on the vote, and the decision was made by the VP. The voices of opposition had very ill-founded, ignorant comments supporting their argument and that has sparked a vigorous exchange of commentary. The Daily and local newspapers are all chock full of OPEDs blasting this issue. The good news is that the ASUW is proposing that Jill Edwards make a formal apology, and a motion is to be presented to memorialize all five of the CMoH recipients (which I think is more appropriate) instead of just Pappy. My students are a bit aggravated by the developments, to say the least.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

20 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    If you don't take that Seal crap down, I'm never opening this site again. I'm sure other's are with me. Come forward!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Calm down, The One. I turned off the auto start a long time ago. If you would use a REAL browswer instead of FireFaux, it would work.

    But if you refresh it and it still starts, let me know. For you, I'll join the throngs of all other men and bow to your every whim because it's all about you. All day. Every day.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I refreshed it and it still starts. Firefox 1.5.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I refreshed it and it still starts. Firefox 1.5.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Does it also cause duplicate copies?

    If "Brian" is Killjoy/Butcher/The One, my response is...

    uhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Nope, Brian is the student at U of C who sent you that e-mail. He's also too dumb to see the "all comments are moderated" notice when he had submitted his comment, and thus put it in twice.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    OK, so I owe Killjoy an apology...but I won't do it. Just credit it to something else dumb/mean/selfish she's done to me.

    Anyway, I fixed it (although I still argue that it wasn't broken.)

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Blogger  Jess said…

    Hey V love the blog. I think what got me was that I have NEVER seen anyone pay homage to the "Electric Company" so of course I had to put you on my list of damn cool people. Love your blog and the website, your family looks so happy! Looking forward to reading more so I'm adding you to my blogroll.

    God Bless the USA, from one veteran to another!

    Jess

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    Jess,

    Wow, thanks. It never occurred to me that a Marine Captain singing the praises of the Electric Company would seem noteworthy but sometimes I forget, I'm supposed to be all growed up.

    I'll check out your site.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    Yeah, we can use that apology you owe me for an insult that's coming in the next few days. I know there's one coming, too, because there always is!

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    Noise,

    I love you.

    (bet you never saw that one coming. Now how do you feel?)

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    Damn. Whatever. You're still a nerd.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    Like a comic once pointed out, diamond commercials should change their "Leave her speechless" slogan to the truth: "That'll shut her up."

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger O! said…

    Wow Captain...that last comment was SO ORIGINAL. I definitely didn't hear that anywhere before.

    Oh wait, you said "a comic once said." D'oh!

    Also, I'm proud of you...not for quoting a comic...I mean, that's commendable I guess...I really don't know.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    O!: why are you proud of me?

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger O! said…

    you idiot for writing the Marine Officer Instructor and fighting for what you believe in....moron

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    You shouldn't respect idiots and morons.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger O! said…

    Yeah...and I also shouldn't stick chalk up my nose.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    No, the chalk thing is OK but don't push the paperclips too far.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger O! said…

    Hmm...I wish they told me that in grade school....cos then I'd have more time to come up with a comment that wasn't so pervertedly inappropriate

     

Post a Comment

<< Home