OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Horsemen Whinnying at One Another


If you don't know who the Horsemen are, go here and read.

This is the email exchange when Sir Phil contacted Sir Bashman about this year's race. It's a pretty standard exchange.:

Sir Phil:

OK, bubba, time to let yourself be counted. Grose and I and now his brother (who will come for the comic relief, not for the run) are in.

The run is only about three weeks away. Are you in or shall we be half in number yet again?
Almost done with your thirty six one-month tours. How's it going?

Sir Bashman:

Sorry Boss,
Deep in the fight.
Extend lines order received.
No relief coming...
Resupply has hot wets and poptarts only no bullets no fuel.
Maybe next year.

Basher

Sir Phil

Boooo. Booooo. Boooo.

Magnus says we're doing just fine on Recruiting. He must think you're too valuable to spare. OK, bubba, strength and honor and we'll have to check in next year. Still going to school?

Me:

Another waiver this year? It's OK, Sir Quist has less of an excuse and his lady part went full bloom when approached about this year's race.

But here this, ye Horsemen, I am moving to San Diego and thus will be a base of operation. Sir Bashman will be out of the recruiting testicle vice, Sir Quist will be battling the LtCol battle of the extending belt length, and Sir Phil already has a proven record to not let distance or petty responsibility impinge on his yearly trek westward. Therefore, in 2007, all lights are green to once again gather the Horsemen for 8th anniversary of this auspicious beginning.

So it is said, so it is done.

BTW, I will be crossing the line this year sub-5. In my last 6 tries, last year was the fastest I had run it at about 5:04. Although I may never surpass Sir Phil's freakish sprint of 4:45ish two years ago, it will be my first time to achieve sub-5. Send your horsie prayers my way, I'm training like it's my job.

-- Nottheadj

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

8 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As your resident Staff Grammarian, I.M. Shirley Wright (it's an old "Car Talk" joke), let me just suggest that the title has a few infelicities within it. "Horsemen" and "Whinnying" might improve things. Now, back to your running :-)

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, and if you REALLY wanted to be perfect about it, which is compulsive and optional, it would be "one another" because it's more than two. Eh. I'd skip that and just correct the more obvious stuff, though.

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    Thanks, Lily, you are correst, of course, and the mistakes have been corrected.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    *YAWN!!*

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your quest for perfection is inspiring :-)

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Killjoy, I look at you like a sister.

    Kiss my ass, sis.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LIKE IT'S YOUR JOB, BABY!!! Good luck :)

    Mez

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Mez, I can't remember where I picked that up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home