OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Another Email Reminding Why I Made A Webpage

This speaks for itself:
-------------------------------
Jason,

My wife and I are flying out to Parris Island tomorrow in preparation for the graduation of our daughter into the family know as The Marine Corps. It has been a tough road for her. She left the Sunday after Thanksgiving and was doing great in training. Three weeks before her graduation, which was to be Feb 25th, she developed a stress fracture in her hip. This set her back physically for about three months, but emotionally she became stronger and even more determined to become a Marine. At one point she wrote, "I'm leaving this island as a Marine or in a pine box." Well, on the 10th of June she will leave the island a Marine.

I write all of this as a background for what I am about to say in regard to your web site. As you can imagine my wife and I have immersed ourselves in as much information about the Marine Corps, and bootcamp in particular, as we could so that we could understand what our daughter had been going through. We have visited many sites and have gained a lot of useful information, but most sites lack any real substance as to the experience. Your site fills that gap in a fashion that makes the reader really experience the daily tortures and lessons of bootcamp. You don't play down the toughness of the experience, but you always emphasize that there are reasons and lessons to be learned from each of those tough experiences. Also the other stories that you present about your interests and events that you have participated in add a personal touch to the information that I have not found anywhere else.

In closing I want to say thank you for taking the time to put your story out there for us parents in a way that helps us better understand the what and why of bootcamp and the Marines.

Thanks

Gratefully
(name withheld by me)
Semper Fi          

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    This is very nice, thank you for sharing. I was talking to Brian at dinner and asked him what the happiest day of his life has been. He replied "The day I graduated bootcamp."

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    He's such a sweetheart.

    Not even the common sense to lie.

    "... but even that doesn't compare to the first day I looked into your beautiful blue eyes ... er... brown... shit... purple?...."

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Blogger Killjoy said…

    Come on, I was trying to be sentimental! Ok how's this: I then asked if he remembered on what day it was. He didn't. "July something."

    I think we got on the conversation when I asked where his wedding ring was. He didn't know. I then asked if he knew he was married. He did. I said "...because it was the happiest day of your life?" and he just looked at me.

    SO!

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    Yikes.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger a.maria said…

    viper...that's awesome to know what you've been doing/writing has touched someone out there in cyber-space!!!

    and to think, i've just been reading to get a good laugh. hmm.

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    a.maria, I've been trying to accomplish both since 1992 when I started my webpage.

    The blog is just a recent addition which, BTW, is sucking all my time into a bottomless time vortex!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home