OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Four Minute Mile

That's the book I'm reading. It's about Sir Roger Bannister who way back ran the first official 4-minute mile.

So far, the book isn't as much about running as it is about an English guy growing up. I'm 3/4 of the way through and still waiting for the exciting part.

But just for kicks, I looked up the current world record. It's 3:43:13 which was set by Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco.

OK, that's nuts. Think about that. Back in Bannister's time, they were exploding testicles to try to get even near the 4 minute barrier. Now Mr. Morocco and his genetically-mutated insane-a-pace is clocking 17 seconds faster.

I once wanted to try for a 4-minute mile but since I can only keep that pace for about 30 seconds, well, I had to come down to reality on that one.

Plus, in an earlier intro to the book, Sir Roger said that no man over 40 has ever done it. And no woman of any age has ever done it. I don't know if that is still true but in 4 years and a sex-change, I'll have all the excuses I need.

Plus, if this is what it turns you into looking like, well, I'll pass.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home