OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

My Great Aunt And Uncle Go To Italy

My Great Grandparents had 13 kids. This is one of them, Uncle Manuel (although he is my Great Uncle, I always considered him "Uncle Manuel."). His wife, Aunt Glenda, was always the whitest woman at the Mexican family reunions which as evil kids, we dubbed "Aunt Glenda, the Good Witch of the East." Why?

As a kid, I remember her as the tallest, whitest woman at the reunion because she towered over all the other Mexican women which numbered in the hundreds, it seemed. She was also that aunt with all the make up that she left smeared on your face after the obligitory kissing. Her bee-hive hairdo back then completes the picture but it's funny how much of that was a kid's perspective because looking at these pics, she is neither all that tall nor does she look like the whitest woman alive. In fact, she almost looks hispanic. Maybe living with Uncle Manuel all these years rubbed off.

But I do remember her with fondness and how affectionate she was, despite standing out in a sea of Mexicans.

Anyway, here are the pics and their explanations:

First one is in Saint Peter's Square














Second one trying to convince a priest that we want to see the Pope.














Third one is Tuscany farm house we stayed in outside of Florence.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to go to Italy. I was born there courtesy of the U.S. Military. I tried to see the Pope too, but they probably did not take me seriously because I was only 14 months old at the time

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    I never really wanted to go to Italy, or any place in Europe that didn't speak English. I know, Ugly American but that's just the way I'm wired.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home