OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

1/10 Of 1%. Not Enough.

1/10th of 1% of people will ever or have ever finished a marathon.

I've finished 13.

And two 50 mile races which represents an even a smaller population of human beings.

If either one of my children EVER runs a marathon, if I'm not there at the finish line (or running beside them), I will be on the phone that day to ask for the play by play. Details. How did you feel? Where were the tough spots? Do you think you ran your best race you could this day? Do you realize what you have accomplished?

My parents are divorced.

I talked to my mom yesterday and mentioned, in a list of things I did on vacation, that I ran a marathon. Not even a mention, question, or even acknowledgement forthe rest ofthe conversation.

I talked to my dad for his birthday today. I slid it into the conversation very briefly. Not even a mention, question, or even acknowledgement for the rest of the conversation.

It makes me think what I'd have to do to actually catch their attention.

But at this point, what does it matter?

Thinking back, they've never acknowledged any of them, except to ask why the hell I'd run that far.

My question to my kids will be "What did you learn about yourself when you were out there?"

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

  • At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sort of feel your pain parent wise, I have never run a marathon, but I have played baseball since I was 11 and I am as old as you are now. My parents have never once watched me play or even come to a practice. They did all the volunteer stuff, but never watched me play. Their excuse was since I was/am a catcher they were afraid to see me get hurt. I will give them some credit, it is the most dangerous position, but outside of a few dozen bruises and one broken knee I faired pretty well all these years. At least they never had to watch me hit. Since I was/am such a good catcher no one cares how I hit, frankly I think Buster could rack up a better batting average than I have :)

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger a.maria said…

    and you kids will love you for it.

    as i'm sure you read, i was in tears when i found out my parents decided to spend the ridiculous amount of money its going to cost to get them out to san fran for my first marathon, but they're doing it, and i love them for it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home