OK, So Here's The Deal...

A Marine Major, Running Fool, and All-Around Smart-Ass.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Aggregation

Been busy with this concept for the last couple of days. I've gone from reading NO blogs to... well, I'm up to about 15. This is really addicting.

What turned me into a blog crack-addict? Aggregator.

I'll try to keep it Barney-level folks.

Most blog services offer an RSS feed. This is just a service that packages up your blog posts into a very generic format that can be sucked away quickly and displayed any old way.

Why would someone want to do this?

Simple, because some users read a lot of blogs and don’t want to go clicking around the whole internet to visit each blog, not knowing if it has been updated. So what an aggregator does is checks the blog sites you tell it to and then sucks out the latesty posts (via RSS feed) and displays them in one handy place. So you go there and see what’s new, read it in your aggregator browser, or click the link to open a new window with the real site displayed.

A few “boos” to complain about.

The online version I use only updates every hour or so, the newest posts could be missing.

The aggregator view does not show you comments.

Other than that, it’s beautiful. Check out BLOGLINES.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

11 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger CoastingThroughTheSouth said…

    Sir, don't forget to read mine.

    feed://doggone-friggin.blogspot.com/atom.xml

    this also brings up a point I've been meaning to make for some time. you should publish a feed of your other blog, that I may mmore easily subscribe to it.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Ryan,

    How do you think I ended up on your blog again? You are one of the 15. I even left a comment today!!

    And I know, but I don't know how to put an RSS feed on my other blog. It's a static html page I maintain by hand, or more accurately, by Dreamweaver.

    Blogger does the feed automatically.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger CoastingThroughTheSouth said…

    there is plenty of code out there that does screen scraping. talk to my friend Jason if you have any questions about this stuff. he's a geek too (and was almost a Marine Officer. (got sent home from OCS for medical reasons. kind of a sore subject)

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger mistyblue3 said…

    thanks for the tip, i'll check it out.. i'm retarded when it comes to all this, as you can see from my blog. I've been bitchin' about my nasty computer all week!

    Misty

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    Screen scraping. Nice term. Sounds like my blog is a cervex.

    I'll talk to Jason about it (RSS, not cervexes..cervices...whatever)

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    mistyblue,

    I'll check out your blog. But your screen name is going to get me in trouble with my wife.

    BTW, the feed is working great but now I spend a stupid amount of time looking at blogs. My eyes are starting to ache. And I can't keep up with my own!!!

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger a.maria said…

    did he just call you sir?

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Viper said…

    a.maria,

    Yeah, it comes with the job. Remember what I do?

    You're just jealous but to calm you down, I'll call you "Sir" for now on too. Happy?

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger mistyblue3 said…

    What's a matter w/ my name?? Its not a stage name, for real. LOL. Real. My parents were kinda different.. Hippies. :)

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Viper said…

    misty,

    OK, then just call me by my real name, Hung Lo.

    (it's of Asian descent)

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger mistyblue3 said…

    LOL! yes sir hung lo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home